You do not need a recreational fishing licence in the Northern Territory (NT), but a large portion of the NT's intertidal waters lie over Aboriginal land.

Respect Indigenous culture

Recreational fishers should respect and recognise the cultural importance to traditional owners of these waters.

Apply for a permit

You need a permit to enter Aboriginal land. You may also need a permit if you want to fish on or access tidal waters overlying Aboriginal land.

For more information or to apply for a permit go to the Northern Land Council website. You can contact the council by phone on 1800 645 299.

For information about fishing at the Tiwi Islands, including how to get camping permits, go to the Tiwi Land Council website.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 20 June 2018