What to do if someone dies

Look for a will

Family members should look for a will. If there is no family in the Northern Territory, a friend of the deceased or the family can help search for a will.

By law, you must contact the Public Trustee to check for a will.

Other ways you can search include all of the following: 

  • look through their paperwork
  • contact their lawyers
  • contact their bank to see if a will is held in a safety deposit box
  • ask other relatives or financial advisors who might know whether a will exists.

If a will is found, a person or trustee organisation will have been named as executor

If you are appointed executor it means you are responsible for ensuring the person’s wishes are carried out.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 21 May 2015

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!