Being an executor

Small estates of less than $20,000

When a person dies and leaves an estate that is less than $20,000 in value, whether there is a will or not, you may be able to take control of the estate yourself without asking the Supreme Court for a grant of representation. 

This can save time and money.

You can also take control of a small estate with a grant of representation.

Read more about grants of representation and taking control of an estate.

Example of a wife administering a small estate of her husband

The husband has a will and leaves his wife all of his estate. 

The estate consists of:

  • a bank account
  • some personal effects
  • a car.

The wife will need to do all of the following:

  • arrange the funeral and burial or cremation - any funds in the husband’s bank account can be used to pay for his funeral
  • apply for a death certificate, although this is usually done by the funeral company
  • tell government authorities such as Medicare, the Australian Tax Office and Centrelink
  • tell pension companies
  • pay any debts
  • arrange for the car to be transferred into her name
  • talk to the bank about closing his account
  • re-arrange insurance policies
  • tell the landlord or housing department about change in tenancy agreement if their property is rented
  • transfer any jointly owned property into her name by filling out a transfer form with the Land Titles Office.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 21 May 2015

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.