About petroleum activities

The Northern Territory (NT) owns all petroleum resources - both onshore and in coastal waters - in the NT.

The Department of Primary Industry and Resources administers and regulates petroleum tenure and activities in these areas.

This includes petroleum resource exploration and development and the construction and operation of oil and gas facilities and transmission pipelines.


Petroleum exploration and production is governed by the following legislation:

Exploration and production in waters beyond the three mile limit comes under the Commonwealth National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator (NOPTA).  Go to the NOPTA website for information about offshore petroleum.

Petroleum titles

Before any petroleum exploration or production can commence you must have a petroleum title.

Read more about petroleum titles .

Approval for exploration and production

When you have been granted a petroleum title you will need to apply for approval to conduct any exploration or production activity.

Read more about applying for approval for petroleum exploration and production activity and petroleum pipelines .

Report an activity

If you witness any activity which concerns you and you wish to report it to the Department of Primary Industry and Resources. Department staff will investigate the issues you raise.

You may choose to notify the department anonymously or leave your name and phone number if you would like someone from the department to get back to you.

You can email petroleum.operations@nt.gov.au or call 08 8999 6350.

Last updated: 27 June 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.