Drafting a constitution
You can draft your own constitution or use the model constitution template.
You will need to submit your approved constitution when you apply to register your association.
To be a legal document, your association's constitution must include all of the following:
- membership requirements
- office bearer requirements and how to fill those positions
- how to settle disputes between your association and its members
- management committee structure and powers
- how to call and hold management committee meetings
- how funds are managed
- how to modify the constitution or objectives or the association
- an annexure clause, as shown in the template above, on the front page when you register your association.
Requirements for trading associations
To form an incorporated trading association, your constitution must also include both of the following:
- how members share profits
- how members share surplus assets, if any, when you wind up or dissolve the association.
Last updated: 19 March 2021
Share this page: