Apply to access a weed quarantine area

You need a permit to enter a weed quarantine area in the Northern Territory (NT). 

The only current quarantine area in the NT is in Darwin River, to prevent the spread of the aquatic weed cabomba.

Quarantine orders

In areas where certain weeds are a problem, a quarantine order stops people entering and accidentally or deliberately spreading weeds in or away from the area.

A quarantine order may stop movement of all of the following:

  • people
  • animals
  • vehicles
  • aircraft
  • boats
  • fishing gear
  • equipment
  • plants.

Information you need for a permit

Before you apply for an access permit to enter a weed quarantine area you need all of the following:

  • your full name, address and contact details
  • a description of the quarantine area 
  • why you want to enter the area
  • details of vehicles that need access
  • proof of title, written approval of the landholder, or right to access the land. Proof may be any of the following that show the residential address you want a permit for:
    • title
    • lease
    • driver licence
  • dates you need the permit for
  • the reason you need the permit
  • how you will make sure the weed does not spread in or beyond the quarantine area
  • a map or site plan of the property you want to enter.

Permit conditions

Permits are valid for three years from the date of issue unless noted otherwise.

Contact Weed Management Branch to find out more.

Apply for an access permit

To apply for an access permit, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in an application to access quarantine area form PDF (94.3 KB).

Step 2. Submit your application and documents by mail, email, fax or in person to the Weed Management Branch.


You could be fined if you enter a quarantine area without a permit. 

The following fines apply:

  • for a person - $12,000 to $118,000
  • for a corporation - $59,000 to $589,000.

Last updated: 02 February 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!