Water drilling licences

Water drilling licence class 3

This is an unrestricted licence that permits drilling operations in flowing aquifers, including the Great Artesian Basin.

How to get a class 3 drilling licence

In addition to operating in class 2 conditions, class 3 permits drilling operations in flowing aquifer systems.

Artesian, flowing or high pressure, aquifers need a high level of knowledge and skills due to the driller's need to understand and control hydrostatic pressures.

There are two ways that you can be issued a class 3 drilling licence.

The first is if you have held a class 2 licence or have been employed as a driller for at least two years, and you have completed at least six class 3 bores under supervision and passed the appropriate drilling licence examinations.

The second is if you have been issued a class 3 drilling licence to carry out bore construction work in another Australian state or territory and the qualifications and knowledge equal that needed for a class 3 drilling licence in the Northern Territory (NT).

Skills, experience and knowledge

For a class 3 licence you must have the knowledge and skills needed for a class 1 and class 2 driller, including the drilling method endorsement you are applying for.

As well as this you must be experienced in all of the following:

  • drilling fluids - methods, procedures and calculations needed for formation fluid pressure control
  • grouting - methods, procedures and calculations needed to carry out pressure cement jobs
  • bore design in aquifer systems that have high pressure conditions and design of efficient bores, which includes being able to calculate screen surface areas and diameter
  • aquifer testing - the procedures for a flow recession test, static and staged pumping tests on flowing bores
  • decommissioning - designing and selecting the right materials for the decommissioning of bores having high pressure conditions.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 14 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.