Apply for unclaimed money
If you believe you are entitled to unclaimed money being held by the Territory Revenue Office (TRO), you can apply to have it paid to you.
You must provide evidence to prove you are the rightful owner of the unclaimed money.
Before you apply
Before applying, you must check that your name is listed on the unclaimed moneys current register .
The register will tell you the amount of money owed.
You will need to provide the following supporting documents with your application:
- proof of identity - a certified copy of one of the following:
- driver's licence
- passport or birth certificate of the owner
- a certified copy of correspondence from the company or superannuation provider that forwarded the unclaimed money:
- share or premium certificates.
- proof of a connection to the last known address (the last known address will only be disclosed once you have proven your identity and links to the company that made the payment to TRO):
- council rates notice
- electricity or gas invoice
If you cannot provide evidence of a connection to the company or superannuation provider, you must get a formal letter from them certifying that you are the rightful owner.
- proof of tax file number (for unclaimed superannuation benefits only):
- a certified copy of a tax assessment or
- TFN notification advice from the Australian Tax Office
Depending on the circumstances of your claim, you may need to provide additional supporting evidence.
To find out more read the unclaimed money guidance notes .
How to apply
To apply for unclaimed money, follow these steps:
Step 1. Fill in the claim form
Step 2. Attach your supporting documents.
Step 3. Submit your form by mail, email or in person:
Territory Revenue Office
GPO Box 154
Darwin NT 0801
Charles Darwin Centre
19 The Mall
Darwin NT 0800
Last updated: 12 March 2018