Paying tax and superannuation

This page gives workers in the Northern Territory (NT) information about income tax and superannuation.


Each time you get paid by your employer, some of the money is sent to the government as income tax.

When you start a job, you will need to give your tax file number to your employer.

Your rate of tax will be calculated based on how much you earn.

Read about starting a job, tax and payslips on the Australian Government's MoneySmart website.

Read about tax rates and tax returns on the Australian Taxation Office website.


Superannuation or 'super' is a way of saving money for your retirement.

Your employer must pay a proportion of your salary into a super fund.

Read about super on the Australian Government's MoneySmart website.

Lost super

Many people change jobs or addresses and lose track of their super.

If you think you have lost super, go to the keeping track of your super page at the Australian Taxation Office website.

The Territory Revenue Office holds unclaimed money for former NT government employees who were members of the NTGPASS or NTSSS schemes and have passed retirement age. For more information contact the Territory Revenue Office.

Last updated: 13 August 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.