Get your heavy vehicle licence

Apply for light rigid licence - LR

To apply for a light rigid licence you must meet all of the following:

  • hold a Northern Territory (NT) drivers licence
  • have held a class C driver licence for at least 12 months
  • learn to drive a light rigid vehicle from a driver who holds a current class LR or higher licence
  • pass a rigid heavy vehicle theory test at a MVR office
    • not required if you do an approved training course
  • pass a practical driving assessment with your approved training provider or with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.

Training and assessment for your LR licence

Before you apply for your light rigid licence you will need to:

The vehicle used for your Class LR practical driving assessment must have a GVM of at least 4.5 tonnes but less than 8 tonnes, and be loaded to at least 75% of the vehicle's rated GVM.

When you have passed your training course or practical driving assessment, you then need to go to your nearest MVR office to apply for your LR licence.

How to apply

You can apply by any of the following ways below.

In person

You will need to give the MVR your:

  • statement of attainment
  • or heavy vehicle licence assessment form.

You will then be given a new LR licence once you have paid the licence fee. You can pay your fee by MasterCard, Visa, cash, cheque or EFTPOS.

Email, mail or phone

You can apply by email, mail or phone if you can meet all of the following:

  • you hold a current NT drivers licence
  • the MVR has your digital photograph recorded
  • you have already submitted your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle licence assessment form to the MVR
  • you have passed the MVR heavy vehicle knowledge test
    • this is not required if you have done a training course with an approved training provider
  • you can pay by MasterCard or Visa.
By phone

Call 1300 654 628. You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard.


Email your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form. You can pay your fee by MasterCard or Visa by calling 1300 654 628.

By mail

You can send your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form with the payment details filled out to:

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 04 October 2018


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.