Apply for heavy rigid licence - HR
To apply for a heavy rigid licence you must meet all of the following:
- be a Northern Territory (NT) resident
- have held a C class licence for at least two years or a LR or MR licence for at least one year
- learn to drive a heavy rigid vehicle from a driver who holds a current class HR or higher licence
- pass a heavy vehicle theory test at a MVR office - not required if you do an approved training course
- pass a heavy vehicle licence eyesight test if you haven't got your MR licence
- pass a driving assessment or approved training course.
Training and assessment for your HR licence
Before you apply for your heavy rigid licence you will need to:
- undertake and pass a training and assessment course with a registered training organisation from the MVR approved training provider list
- or undertake training from another source and pass a practical driving assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.
The vehicle used for your Class HR practical driving assessment must be a rigid vehicle, not being an unladen prime mover, with a minimum of 3 axles and GVM of at least 15 tonnes, and be loaded to at least 75% of the vehicle's rated GVM.
When you have passed your training course or practical driving assessment, you then need to go to your nearest MVR office to apply for your HR licence.
How to apply
You will need to give the MVR your:
- statement of attainment
- or heavy vehicle licence assessment form.
You will then be given a new HR licence once you have paid the heavy vehicle licence fee.
Email, mail or phone
You can apply by phone, email or mail if:
- you are a NT resident
- the MVR has your digital photograph recorded
- you are not due to have an eye sight test
- you have already submitted your driver test result to the MVR
- you can pay by MasterCard and Visa.
Call 1300 654 628. You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard.
Email your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to email@example.com. You can pay your fee by MasterCard or Visa by calling 1300 654 628.
You can send your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to the MVR office with the payment details filled out to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801