Get your driver licence

Pay a fee and receive your provisional licence

After you pass the driving test, you may take your test sheet to an MVR office where you must pay a provisional licence fee to be issued with your provisional driver licence.

If you are a participant in the DriveSafe NT program you don't need to pay a fee for your provisional licence.

You will be given a provisional driver licence with the same photo on your learner licence, unless you request a new photo.

Under 25

You will receive a two-year provisional licence with a Z condition for zero blood alcohol content (BAC) during your provisional stage and a further year after.

25 and over

You will receive a one year provisional licence.

Conditions for all provisional drivers

Your provisional licence has driving conditions, which include all of the following:

  • zero blood alcohol concentration
  • not exceeding 100 kilometres per hour
  • displaying your P plates at the front and rear of the vehicle.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 30 January 2018

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.