Get your driver licence


Changes to NT driver licences

Northern Territory (NT) driver licences issued by the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) have changed.

Read about these changes.

This is a step-by-step guide to show you how to get your learner driver licence, graduating with your provisional licence and qualifying for your open driver licence.

Before you can be issued your learner driver licence, you will need to become a Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) customer.

To become an MVR customer, you will need to provide evidence of your identity and evidence of your NT residency.

This guide is for people who live in major towns in the Northern Territory (NT) that are serviced by an MVR office, including Darwin, Katherine, Nhulunbuy, Tennant Creek, Yulara and Alice Springs.

If you live in a remote region, read about driver licences for remote residents.

Learner driver licence

You must hold a class C learner licence for at least six continuous months immediately before you can upgrade to a provisional licence.

If your learner licence is suspended, disqualified, or expires, you must wait six continuous months from when it is reactivated before you can:

  • take your practical test or
  • upgrade to a provisional licence.

Renew your learner driver licence

If your learner licence is about to expire, you can renew it six weeks before it is due to expire.

To renew your learner licence, you need to:

By doing so, you will avoid breaking the six month period needed to take your practical test.

Provisional driver licence

If you are under the age of 25, you must hold a provisional licence for two years before you can upgrade to your open licence.

If you are 25 years old or over, you must hold a provisional licence for one year before you can upgrade to your open licence.

A practical test is not required to progress past the provisional licence stage.

A zero blood alcohol content (BAC) condition is applied to your licence for three years. This condition will be removed the day after you turn 25 - unless you remain a provisional licence holder.

Road safety resources

For road safety resources, online modules and information on classes and instructors, go to the DriveSafe NT website.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 06 October 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!