Discipline and children: birth to 12 years

When to seek help

If your child continually ‘misbehaves’ or has persistent behaviour that worries you, there may be some underlying cause that they need help with.

Talk with your doctor or a community nurse.

When to seek help for you

Sometimes stressed parents feel unable to cope with their child’s behaviour without getting angry and feeling they might lose control.

A brief ‘time-out’ for you in these moments can help you calm down - make sure your child is safe and they know you are nearby.

Be patient with yourself if you are also trying to change your parenting approaches - it can take time to learn new things.

If you feel overwhelmed, or easily get frustrated and angry, talk to someone who can help. Try your doctor or a community nurse.

More information

Find out more, including where you can get help to understand your child's behaviour, on the following pages: 

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 11 March 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!