Vehicle gifts and long term loans
This page has information for organisations that want to apply for a vehicle loan or gift.
The community benefit fund vehicle gift and long term loan programs are managed by the Northern Territory Government’s light vehicle fleet.
You can apply to loan or receive a vehicle that is surplus to government requirements.
Long-term loans are loans that last longer than four weeks. You have to pay for all running costs, including maintenance and insurance.
Before you apply
Who can apply
Not-for-profit charitable, volunteer or community-based non-government organisations (NGOs) can apply. You must be incorporated under:
- the Associations Act (Northern Territory)
- the Corporations Act 2001 (Commonwealth)
- the Aboriginal Councils and Associations Act 1976 (Commonwealth)
- any other Act of the Parliament of another Australian State or Territory.
Who cannot apply
Vehicles are not gifted or loaned to any of the following:
- NGOs that can make money through commercial undertakings like a liquor licence
- government or semi-government organisations like hospitals, libraries or councils
- public or private schools - including primary, secondary and tertiary
- school affiliate or auxiliary bodies like school councils
- research foundations or trusts
- NGOs that have not met obligations for previously gifted vehicles or other government assets.
Only 2WD vehicles are gifted or loaned. 4WD vehicles may be provided if a 2WD is not appropriate for the intended use.
Heavy vehicles are not included in the vehicle gift program.
How applications are assessed
Your application will be assessed using the following criteria:
- your client base
- how you plan to use the vehicle
- how you currently deliver services for which the requested vehicle is intended
- whether other transport modes can be used for the activity or service
- how it benefits the community
- how much support you already get from federal, state and local government
- whether you are eligible for special or ad hoc grant funding from Northern Territory programs
- whether you have received other gifts or loans of Northern Territory Government assets in the past three years
- whether you can pay for the vehicle's running, maintenance and insurance costs.
When to apply
There are two rounds of vehicle gifts and long term loans each year.
Applications are open from 1 June to 31 August. Applicants should be notified by 30 November.
Applications are open from 1 December to 1 March. Applicants should be notified by 31 May.
How to apply
To apply follow these steps:
Step 1. Fill in the vehicle gifts and long term loans form.
Step 2. Submit your form in person, or by mail, email or fax.
Community Benefit Fund Secretariat
Level 3, NAB House
71 Smith Street
Darwin NT 0800
GPO Box 1154
Darwin NT 0801
Fax: (08) 8923 7616
Last updated: 05 January 2017