Affordable rentals: key workers

If you are looking for somewhere to rent and you work in one of the Northern Territory's (NT) key service industries you may be eligible to apply for an affordable rental home.

The NT Government head leases dwellings from the private sector to provide more affordable rental homes around the Territory. 

These are then subleased to key workers.

You can read more about this housing for growth head-leasing initiative at the Department of Housing and Community Development website.

What is a key service industry

Key service jobs are listed on the NT's skilled occupation priority list.

For information and list updates read high demand and critical jobs.

You or one of your household must have a job in one of the following key service areas to be eligible to apply:

  • tourism and hospitality
  • education and childcare
  • health and emergency services
  • public service front line positions only
  • community and social services
  • transport and logistics
  • agriculture and fisheries
  • construction
  • manufacturing
  • real estate and property management
  • telecommunications
  • media and advertising
  • sales and marketing
  • recreation, arts and entertainment.

Other conditions

In addition to the meeting the conditions above you cannot:

  • currently own a property in the NT
  • get a rental subsidy from your employer
  • be directly employed in the resources sector.


To apply you need to meet a number of conditions.

 You must be able to show you can make regular rental payments.

Household income limits

You must meet income limits to be eligible.

If your household income is just above these limits and you are working in a priority skilled job your application can be looked at again on a case by case basis.

Household type Maximum gross household income (before tax)
One adult $85,000.00
Two adults $102,751.50
Three adults $131,182.50
Four adults $159,613.50
Sole parent with one child $102,822.00
Sole parent with two children $127,474.50
Sole parent with three children $152,127.00
Couple with one child $127,404.00
Couple with two children $152,056.50
Couple with three children $176,709.00

If the above is not relevant, you can also calculate your household income using the following figures:

Household Maximum gross household income (before tax)
First adult $74,320.50
Each additional adult $78,169.50
First sole parent $28,431.00
Each child $24,652.50

How to apply 

You can apply to rent these homes at 30% below market rates in Darwin, Palmerston, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs.

They are managed by private rental property agents.

You can get an application form and more information by contacting the affordable rentals property manager in your region and you can also view all rental options on the agent's website.

Region Contact Phone Website Email
Palmerston and Coolalinga Elders Real Estate (08) 8981 1822 Elders Real Estate
Darwin and Top End Elders Real Estate (08) 8981 1822 Elders Real Estate
Alice Springs LJ Hooker  (08) 8950 6333 LJ Hooker
Tennant Creek Julalikari Council Aboriginal Corporation (08) 8962 2699

Other affordable rental options

There are more affordable rental options.

This includes Venture Housing Company, which is a government initiated not-for-profit affordable housing rental company that offers eligible Darwin residents rentals below market rates.

For more information on affordable rentals options go to the Venture Housing website.

Last updated: 30 November 2017