Paying your rent in public housing

Paying bond and other charges


Bond amounts could vary but are usually the value of four weeks' rent.

If you receive a rental rebate, the bond will be the value of two weeks' rebated rent and two weeks' market rent.

If you receive an aged pension, your bond will be the value of four weeks' rebated rent.

Read more on rebated rent.

Other charges

You must pay for your own electricity costs and other connections such as phone or internet.

The department pays for 500 kilolitres of water per year if your home has its own water meter. You will be charged if you use more than 500 kilolitres per year.

You may not have to pay for excess water if there was an unidentified maintenance problem such as leaking taps or pipes.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 July 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.