If you do not pay your rent or other bills

You will go into debt if you do not pay your rent and other bills within the set time period.

These can be different for each service provided.

For example:

  • rental arrears - immediately
  • excess water charges - 30 days
  • damage to property charges - 30 days
  • legal fees - 30 days
  • bond - the date you start your tenancy
  • bond assistance loan - as per your repayment schedule.

If you can't make your payments you must talk to your tenancy manager so you can talk about options. 

Notice of rental arrears

You will receive a warning letter when you are seven days behind with your rent.

If you don't pay the outstanding amount within another seven days you will be sent a final arrears warning letter. 

Help with paying your debts

It is important that you contact your local housing office as soon as possible to let them know you are having problems paying your bills.

You can also ask to be put in contact with support organisations that can help you with debt management and budgeting advice.  

These organisations are part of the public housing tenancy support program

Agreement to pay

You may not be able to repay your debt with one repayment.

The Department of Housing will work with you to organise a number of repayments over an agreed period of time.

This is called an agreement to pay. 

Contact your local housing office for more information.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 22 June 2018