Look after your public housing home
Bugs and pests in your home
You must keep pests in your public housing home under control, such as cockroaches, ants, insects, ticks, fleas, mice and rats.
You must do all of the following:
- keep your home clean
- keep the lawn mowed and yard neat and tidy
- put rubbish in the bin and make sure the bin is emptied and cleaned regularly
- make sure food that is in the cupboard is in sealed containers or bags
- don’t store, eat or cook food in bedrooms
- keep doors closed and make sure flyscreens do not have holes
- keep your animals/pets outside and make sure they don’t have ticks and fleas.
You can use an insect spray to help get rid of bugs around your home.
Follow the instructions carefully as these chemicals can be dangerous if not used properly.
If you have problems with large numbers of bugs and pests, contact your local housing maintenance officer or department of housing officer to talk about the options to remove the pests.
Last updated: 18 August 2015
Share this page: