How to buy your public housing home
How to apply
If you want to know if you can buy your home or another public housing property, contact your local housing office.
To apply to buy your home or another public housing property, follow the steps on this page.
Step 1. Read the application
Read the information sheet on the front of the application, and the form itself, so you understand what you need to do.
Information you will need
Check you have all the information you need to complete the form.
You must provide all of the following:
- photo identification for applicants 18 years old and over
- a bank statement or evidence of funds, such as savings, you will use to buy the house
- if you are borrowing money to buy the house, you must have a letter of pre-approval of finance, also known as approval in principal, from a recognised bank or home finance lender. The pre-approval letter should include all of the following details:
- your full name and address
- when your finance was approved
- the amount you have been approved for
- the maximum price you can pay for a house - total of savings, loan, grant or any other money available to you
- any conditions on the loan such as satisfactory valuation by the bank.
Step 2. Fill in your application
Fill in all of the sections of the application and have all applicants read and sign the declaration section at the end of the form.
Ask a housing officer if you need some help with the application.
Step 3. Take your application to a housing office
Take your application and supporting information to your local housing office.
Ask the housing officer to check your application to make sure you have provided all the information you have been asked for. An incomplete application will not be accepted.
After you apply
The department will look at your application and decide if the house you want to buy is for sale.
While you are waiting to hear about your application, you will still have to go on paying your rent as usual until the sale is completed.
If your application is approved
If the department decides to sell you the house, it will send you a letter confirming approval of your application and explaining how the sale process will proceed.
For more information, contact NT Home Ownership by calling 08 8999 8471 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 01 July 2019
Share this page: