How your application is assessed

Your application for public housing will be processed in two to four weeks.

You will be contacted if your application has been approved or not.

Proof of income

All household members over 18 years must provide proof of income. 

These include:

  • Centrelink statements for benefits or pensions
  • all job pay slips 
  • for self employed people a copy of your last tax return
  • proof in writing of pensions from overseas or veteran's affairs.

Income not included

Some types of income are excluded.

These include:

  • child care benefit
  • carer allowance or bonus
  • foster child allowance
  • child maintenance payments made by you
  • salary sacrifice
  • pharmaceutical allowance.

Household income and asset limits

To be eligible for public housing in urban areas, your household income and assets must be lower than the eligibility limits.

Maximum household income and asset limits are as follows:

Household size Gross income limit per week (before tax)* Household asset limit**
- new applicants
- existing tenants under 55 years
Household asset limit**
- existing tenants over 55 years
1 $789 $67,571 $242,995
2 $1,025 $96,411 $242,995
3 $1,192 $152,698 $341,886
4 $1,369 $152,698 $341,886
5 $1,538 $152,698 $341,886
6 $1,711 $152,698 $341,886

* Income limits were last changed on 11 December 2017.
** Asset limits were last changed on 11 December 2017.

Proof of assets

In urban areas, your assets will also be looked at to see if you qualify for public housing. 

You and all the adults in your household will need to provide proof of your assets. 

These include:

  • savings and cash holdings
  • recreation vehicles, quad bikes and trail bikes
  • boats and tinnies
  • caravans, camping trailers and mobile homes
  • stock market bonds and investments
  • superannuation funds that can be assessed
  • land or property.

Assets not included

Some items are not included when assessing eligibility. 

For some, proof must be given showing they cannot be assessed. 

  • personal belongings including furniture and car
  • superannuation and roll over funds that cannot be accessed. 

Defence payments to prisoners of war and the F-111 fuel tank payments are permanently exempt, but any income from investment from these payments will be assessed. 

If you are approved

You will be contacted and put on the waiting list. 

You will be offered accommodation when your turn is reached and a suitable property becomes available.

Waiting times vary and in some areas the wait is over five years.

You will be contacted while you are on the waiting list to see if you still want to stay on the list.

If your situation changes contact your local housing office.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 22 June 2018