Owning a rental property

There are rules that set out the rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act 1999.

As a landlord, you can choose to either:

  • manage your own rental property
  • or pay a professional real estate agency to manage your property on your behalf.

Manage your own property

If you want to manage your own property you should read the Residential Tenancies Act 1999.

This will help to give you a good level of understanding of your rights and responsibilities as a landlord.

If your rental property has a swimming pool or spa you must have certified pool safety barrier.

Read more about the laws for pools and spas on rental properties.

Book a training course

Consumer Affairs NT run training courses for landlords about the Residential Tenancy Act. To book a course, call (08) 8999 1999.

Tenancy agreements

You can get a standard NT tenancy agreement from the Real Estate Institute of the Northern Territory (REINT).

Go to the REINT website to find out more information.

Using a rental agency

Many owners decide to pay a real estate professional to manage their rental property.

Your agent will handle the day to day issues including collecting the rent and regular inspections and will be the first point of contact for your tenant for repairs and maintenance requests.

You will need to sign an agreement with the agency and this will include details about commission rates, fees and charges.

For more details on your role and responsibilities as a landlord contact NT Consumer Affairs.

Last updated: 08 March 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.