Asbestos and building

Asbestos inspections

If you live in public housing that was built before 1983 it will need to be checked for asbestos.

What you need to do

You do not need to contact anyone. A letter will be sent out to public housing tenants from 1 May.

You will be contacted by a housing officer or contractor to arrange a time for an inspection.

If your home has asbestos

If asbestos is found in your home, a licensed inspector will tell the department what needs to be done.


To find out more call 1800 104 076 or email

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 16 December 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!