Changes to NT planning laws
On 31 July 2020, planning laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT).
Changes have been made to the following:
- NT Planning Act 1999 and Planning Regulations 2000
- NT Planning Scheme.
Industry, developers and the public must follow the new laws, regulations and planning scheme.
What has changed
Changes to the Planning Act and Regulations include:
- updated objectives to make the planning system fairer and more open
- clearer definitions of responsibilities for planning stakeholders
- new timeframes and notification requirements for applications.
Changes to the NT Planning Scheme
Changes to the NT Planning Scheme include:
- a new layout and structure to make it easier to use
- local policies and area plans having a bigger say in decision-making
- more guidance around development requirements
- simplified assessment and application processes.
For development applications and permits, contact:
For planning scheme amendments, including rezoning land, contact:
Last updated: 31 July 2020
Share this page: