Development permit

This page has information about development permits in the Northern Territory.

A development permit, also known as development consent, lists the conditions you must meet to complete a development project.

Types of permits

You can apply for a development permit for development or construction, and subdivision or consolidation.

Development or construction permit

You can apply for this permit to carry out a specific use or construction on a piece of land.

For example, this permit allows you to build new multiple dwellings or make use of an existing building as an office.

To construct a unit with separate titles for individual owners, you will need both a development permit for construction and a development permit for a unit title scheme subdivision.

A condition of this permit is that you get a certificate of compliance at the completion of your works.

Subdivision or consolidation permit

You can apply for this permit to record the following changes to a piece of land:

  • a new land survey plan
  • new lots
  • new land titling.

Under this permit, you must get a Part 5 clearance from the consent authority at the completion of works, or a partial Part 5 clearance for staged developments, to show you have met the permit conditions.

You can apply for a Part 5 clearance through the Development One Stop Shop.

Read more about development applications for subdivisions.

Read about subdivisions for building single dwellings on small lots.

Applying for a permit

You can apply for development permits from the Development Consent Authority using the Development One Stop Shop.

Before applying, you can meet with a planner for free advice.

Meeting the conditions of a permit

The conditions of your development are listed in your permit document.

Conditions before starting work

Before starting development work you may need to meet some specific requirements, also known as conditions precedent, of your permit.

You must also get endorsement for your development plans along with your permit to begin work.

Permits with endorsed plans

You may be issued a development permit with endorsed plans but still need to meet conditions precedent before starting work.

For example, you may need to prepare an erosion and sediment control plan, or a stormwater management plan for the consent authority, before you can begin your work.

Permits without endorsed plans

You may be issued a permit and need to meet conditions precedent to get your plans endorsed before starting your development.

For example, you may need to provide a particular document such as an amended plan, a traffic impact study, or a site contamination audit to the consent authority in order to get endorsement before starting work.

Conditions during work

You must meet general conditions to get approval, during and at the end of your development or subdivision work.

General conditions may include but are not limited to any of the following:

  • works completed in accordance with the endorsed plans
  • power, water and telecommunications installed to the requirements of the service authority
  • roads and property accesses constructed to the requirements of the council or the Department of Transport.

You may need to negotiate directly with a service authority such as the Power and Water Corporation if they are required to do paid inspections as a condition of your permit.

Go to the Development Applications Online website to find out how to contact service authorities to meet conditions of permits.

Additional notes in a permit

The consent authority may add notes to the end of your permit document.

These notes are not conditions of your permit but may be useful contacts for developers and landowners and recommended activities in addition to the development application process.

Last updated: 07 March 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.