Development One Stop Shop: applications and processes

Review of planning decisions

If you are not satisfied with the decision of the consent authority about a planning application you may be able to request a review of the decision.

If the Development Consent Authority has rejected your development application you may appeal within 28 days of receiving a notice of the decision.

When you can request a review

You can request a review of the decision made about your application in relation to any of the following:

  • a refusal to grant a permit
  • an extension to the period of a permit
  • a specific condition of a development permit
  • a service authority’s refusal to refund or remit a developer contribution
  • if your application remains undetermined 12 weeks after submitting it.

When you can make a third-party request for review 

You can appeal a decision made about another party's development application, known as making a third-party request for review. 

To make a third-party request for review, you need to have made a submission during the development application's statutory 14-day exhibition period.

Third-party appeals usually only apply to land in a residential zone.

Third parties have no right to a request for a review of decisions that relate to any of the following: 

  • subdivisions or consolidations of land
  • detached dwellings or attached dwellings below two storeys
  • land zoned as non-residential, unless it is adjacent to land in a residential zone or directly opposite land in a residential zone and is on the other side of a road that has a reserve width of 18m or less
  • non-residential uses such as bed and breakfast accommodation, home occupation, childcare centre, medical consulting rooms and caretaker’s residence within a residential zone - if the consent authority has not varied or waived any requirements of the Northern Territory Planning Scheme provisions.

How to request a review of a planning decision

Contact the Northern Territory Civil and Administration Tribunal for information on how to submit a notice of appeal.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 07 March 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.