Wastewater: rural and remote residential

This page has information for people who want to install an on-site wastewater system on their residential rural or remote property.

All on-site wastewater systems must be installed by a licensed plumber. If the system is to be installed inside a building control area, the design and installation must be certified.

Alternative on-site wastewater systems

For all alternative on-site systems, your licensed plumber must fill in a notification of installation of an on-site wastewater system before work starts.

When work is finished, they must submit the second part of the form, the notification of installation completion.

Notification of installation/completion of an on-site wastewater system (86.8 kb)
Notification of installation/completion of an on-site wastewater system (398.9 kb)

The form must be submitted to the Department of Health using the contact details provided.

Read more about alternative on-site and other types of wastewater system.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 21 June 2018