Subdivisions: permits and processes

Lodging your survey

This page has information about obtaining a land title once your land has been subdivided.

You must apply to the Land Title Office to be issued with a land title. Your surveyor may do this for you. 

Before you lodge

You must get Land Titles Office concurrence before submitting your survey to Survey and Land Records for approval by the Surveyor-General and the issue of titles.

Land Titles Office concurrence

The Land Titles Office requires consents from the holders of other registered interests on the land being subdivided, such as mortgages, easements and current leases. 

The office can only provide limited advice and it may be appropriate that you seek independent professional advice.

The examination process for concurrence can take 24 business hours.

For subdivisions under the Land Title Act

To get concurrence for these subdivisions, you should provide the Land Titles Office with copies of the following:

  • your survey signed by a surveyor
  • development permit
  • any signed consent or application forms.

The office will examine these copies to ensure they have been prepared and executed properly. 

Once all requirements have been met, the office will notify you and Survey and Land Records. 

You can then submit your survey to Survey and Land Records for final approval. Your surveyor will usually do this for you. Read more about survey approval on getting approval for your survey.

For subdivisions under the Unit Title Schemes Act

You must have Land Titles Office approval before endorsement by the Development Consent Authority for your Scheme Statement.

To get Land Titles Office concurrence for these type of subdivisions you should provide the office with the following original documents:

  • your original signed First Scheme Statement application
  • your survey signed by a surveyor
  • original consent forms for any mortgages or caveats.

Once the Land Titles Office approves your application they will notify the Development Consent Authority and Survey and Land Records. 

You must collect a letter from the Land Titles Office, then deliver it along with your First Scheme Statement and any other documents to the Development Consent Authority for endorsement.

You can then submit your survey to Survey and Land Records for final approval. Your surveyor will usually do this for you. Read more about getting approval for your survey.

How to apply for titles

Once your survey has been approved by the Surveyor-General, the Land Titles Office will be notified. 

To apply for titles for your land, you must pay the fee and submit all the following documents to the Land Titles Office:

  • your approved survey, signed by both your surveyor and the Surveyor-General
  • original consent forms
  • one of the following forms, completed and signed:
    •  Form 21 - Application of Separate Titles for subdivisions of land - signed by all landowners
    •  Form 113 - Scheme Statement for subdivisions related to units - endorsed by the Development Consent Authority.

Your forms must be submitted as originals, printed double-sided and signed in front of a qualified witness. Check the fee and get the forms from Land Titles Office: forms and fees.

You can ask your surveyor to help you with your application.

Titles can be issued within 24 business hours. You will be sent a registration statement after your application has been processed. 

The Land Titles Office no longer automatically issue paper titles. If you need a paper title read how to get a land title certificate.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 05 April 2016


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.