Development application: Indigenous land


You must consult with land owners or the relevant regional council when planning a development in any Indigenous community in the Northern Territory (NT).

Twenty remote Indigenous communities have been identified as Major Remote Towns.

All Major Remote Towns are zoned and have a corresponding area plan. Development in Major Remote Towns is assessed against the planning principles and provisions of the Northern Territory Planning Scheme.

For the remainder of Indigenous communities, you may not need a development permit to carry out works.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 07 March 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.