Permits for businesses in parks

If you want to do business or commercial activities in a park or reserve in the Northern Territory (NT), you must apply for a permit.

You should apply at least 3 months before you want to start doing business. Not all permit applications are successful.

There are two kinds of permits for commercial activities:

  • minor concession
  • major concession.

The Parks and Wildlife Commission does not provide permits for Kakadu or Uluru Kata Tjuta National Parks.

For more information about national parks, go to the Australian Government's Department of the Environment website.

Commercial work is for money or financial gain.

This includes any of the following:

  • specialised guided tours
  • tours to specific parks and reserves
  • on-park commercial activity
  • guided bushwalking tours
  • guided mountain bike tours
  • guided spot lighting tours
  • mobile kiosk sales
  • restricted area guided walking tours
  • restricted area guided vehicle tours
  • ballooning tours
  • non-motorised canoe hire
  • dinghy hire
  • guided abseiling and rock climbing
  • guided horse and camel rides
  • helicopter tours
  • tented (safari) camps.

Minor concession permits

A minor concession includes all of the following:

  • a refreshment kiosk
  • tea rooms
  • souvenir or craft shops
  • small hire operations such as canoes or bicycles
  • a safari camp
  • a park-based tour such as a caving tour and instruction
  • a cruise boat tour and instruction.

Major concession permits

A major concession includes all of the following:

  • services or guided leisure activities
  • a motel
  • a caravan park
  • a camping area
  • a food outlet that also hires canoes, bicycles
  • a luxury safari camp
  • guided boat tours.

The business you propose must be assessed and approved before you can submit an application for a permit for that business.

To have your business proposal assessed and approved, call 08 8999 6393.

To apply for a permit, you must fill in the relevant application:

You will be asked to pay a security deposit and provide proof of public liability insurance.

Submit your form, application fee and other documents by email, fax, mail or in person to the Parks and Wildlife concessions and permits section.

Each permit application costs $300.

You can apply for more than one permit at a time for the same cost.

You do not have to pay a fee if you want to renew your permit.

If your application is not successful, you will get your $300 back.

You may be allowed to renew your permit.

See the conditions of your permit and the terms of its renewal.

If you are not allowed to get a permit, you will be told why.

Last updated: 07 January 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!