Territory volunteers and Bushfires NT Staff do an amazing job keeping our community safe and it’s important they get the support they need. That’s why the Territory Government has released the Territory’s first Bushfires NT Volunteer Strategy. It will support the creation of a more sustainable volunteer program to continue providing high quality service to Territorians.
The Strategy seeks to develop more volunteer programs and provide future direction for both Bushfires NT and volunteer bushfire brigades.
To do this, six priority areas have been identified:
- Improve the capacity of volunteers by developing supportive systems and processes;
- Create communication pathways to ensure transparency and understanding;
- Raise the profile of Bushfires NT by building community support;
- Strengthen relationships by fostering productive partnerships;
- Drive change by identifying emerging trends and opportunities; and
- Continue to improve through monitoring and evaluation
The new Strategy is all about attracting, supporting and retaining more volunteers by providing better training and more support.
The Strategy was created in consultation with volunteers and the community and outlines the expected start and completion dates for each action.
For more information on the Bushfires NT Volunteer Strategy, go to nt.gov.au/bushfiresNT/volunteerstrategy
The Bushfire NT Volunteer Strategy 2019-2022 was funded by the Northern Territory and Australian Government through the Natural Disaster Resilience Program.