Disaster assistance question and answer

This page has questions and answers which you may need in relation to the Hail Storm Recovery Quick Response Grants for Alice Springs not for profit organisations.

Rain got in and wrecked the carpet in my house - can I apply

No. The fund is for incorporated or registered community based not-for-profit organisations - it’s not for individual people.

We didn't incorporate the club - can I just apply on their behalf

No you can’t.  Your organisation must be incorporated under the Northern Territory Associations Act, or be registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission.

I’ve put my application in with the insurance people, but I don’t know how long they’ll take

You can apply through this grant and if the insurance company pays you later, then you must pay back the Government.

How will you know if the insurance provider pays me

You will sign an agreement that you’ll pay the Northern Territory Government (NTG) if that occurs and we will check with the insurance company.

How long will it take to get the money

As long as you have given us all the info we have asked for in the application (photos, a stat dec about the damage, and quotes for work), and you are eligible for assistance, we anticipate a turn-around time of up to seven working days.

What you need to put in the stat dec

You need to tell NTG what the damage is (you may refer to attached photos), and that it occurred as a result of the hail storm on Friday 17 June 2016.

What will your funding cover

The grant can cover the cost of materials. Volunteer labour is a great way of building club and community spirit, but NTG can’t pay for it.

Does my landlord fix the damage

You will need to see what your lease says. If you are still not certain about what to do, please contact the Department of the Chief Minister to consider the options.

Why isn’t GST payable - we have to pay it on the stuff we buy

And you can claim it back through your tax activity statement.  NTG only pays GST when we are getting a direct benefit from a grant.

I didn’t take any photos and I’ve fixed the damage

You must provide a statutory declaration that describes the damage and that it occurred as a result of the storm. Please also provide a copy of the invoice from the person or company that fixed the damage.

I fixed the damage myself

NTG can cover the cost of materials if you have receipts.  The government can only pay for your labour if you have an ABN and can provide an invoice for the work done.


Social Policy Unit
Department of the Chief Minister
Phone: (08) 8999 5523
Email: communitysupportdcm@nt.gov.au

Last updated: 15 June 2018