Rules for using a fishing aggregating device
The following rules apply when you are using a fishing aggregating device (FAD):
- respect other FAD users at all times
- be courteous to fishers who are already using the FAD
- take turns in fishing the FAD and accommodate new arrivals
- take only what you need for a feed
- always slow your approach when nearing an FAD and sound the area away from the FAD for target fish
- spearfishers should:
- be aware of other FAD users
- avoid entering the water if other boats are around the FAD
- not have a loaded speargun within 150 metres of another person who is not part of their fishing group
- keep boats, lines and lures a safe distance from:
- the FAD
- other boats.
Before you leave shore
FADs are sometimes situated long distances from shore.
Before you leave the shore you should do the following:
- ensure your boat is suitable for offshore fishing
- check you have all the correct safety equipment required by law
- check the current marine weather forecast to assess if conditions are suitable for boating.
Report damaged or missing FADs
If you see a damaged or misused FAD or notice one that appears to be missing from its marked position, contact the Fisheries Department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 06 November 2018
Share this page:URL copied!