Report a boat accident, incident or death

Recreational and commercial marine operators in the Northern Territory (NT) must report all accidents or incidents on the water as soon as possible under law.

This includes all vessels whose next port of call is at a port or place in the NT.

If you don't report you could face a penalty.

When to a report an accident or incident

You must make a report if your vessel is involved in any of the following:

  • an accident or collision
  • receives damage which renders or is likely to render it unsafe
  • has been in great danger from the actions of another boat
  • has been in danger of wreck or collision
  • damages a pipeline, submarine cable or marine navigational unit
  • an accident in which the sea is polluted by oil or by an noxious substance either by your boat or another vessel

Call NT Water Police on (08) 8947 0391 to report an accident.

You should make a report by filling in the following form:

Report of recreational vessel involved in a marine incident (237.0 kb)
Report of recreational vessel involved in a marine incident (203.5 kb)

Email the form to the Marine Safety Branch at

Report a death

You must call NT Police on 000 or 131 444 to report a death.

You must also notify the Marine Safety Branch of a death or serious injury to a person on your boat.

Call (08) 8924 7100 or email

If you don't report a death you could face a penalty.

Commercial marine operators

Commercial marine operators should follow the same steps listed above for accidents, incidents or death.

Operators must also go to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) website to make a report.

The operator must notify AMSA within four hours of becoming aware of the accident or dangerous occurrence.

Read more information on incident reporting, when to report an incident and general incident reporting for commercial vessels on the AMSA website.

Last updated: 11 December 2017