Port and pilotage standards and guidelines

This page has standards and guidelines as set by the Regional Harbourmaster. 

Port safety plan guidelines

Port safety plan guidelines are directed to port operators to assist them in the development of port safety plans as required under the law. Read the law.

The guidelines apply to all designated ports in the Northern Territory (NT). 

Read the guidelines (325.8 kb).

Regional Harbourmaster's directions

Regional Harbourmaster's directions are issued to clarify or direct the control, movement and behaviour of vessels in the interests of safety and navigation.

Directions may apply to all designated ports in the NT or to particular ports or activities.

Get the latest Regional Harbourmaster's directions.

Pilotage technical standards

Pilotage technical and safety standards are published and maintained for each port in the NT.

These standards include all of the following: 

  • minimum standards for pilotage service providers
  • privileges of pilot licence use
  • requirements to obtain, upgrade or renew a pilot licence
  • privileges of a pilotage exemption certificate
  • requirements to obtain, upgrade or renew a pilotage exemption certificate.

For more information get the Darwin pilotage standards (1.2 mb).

Pilotage and pilotage exemption certificates

All vessels 35m or greater in length within the compulsory pilotage area must either carry a licensed pilot or be under the lawful command of a master who holds a valid pilotage exemption certificate.

Read more about pilotage exemption certificates.

Pilotage fact sheet

Pilotage is the most important risk control applied to the hazards associated with shipping in ports.

The fact sheet outlines what pilotage is and who is responsible in the Northern Territory.

Read the fact sheet (469.6 kb).

Last updated: 06 December 2017


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.