Commercial vessels: marine radio and communications
Read below to find out about the marine radio and communications equipment you must carry on your commercial vessel.
Commercial vessels class 1B, 1C, 1D, 2B, 2C, 3B and 3C
These boats must carry all of the following communications equipment:
- an EPIRB
- Classes 1B, 2B and 3B vessels must carry a 406 EPIRB to AS/NZS 4280 requirements
- Classes 1C, 2C and 3C must carry a 406 EPIRB to AS/NZS 4280 requirements
- a VHF radio with the following frequencies:
- 156.8 MHz CH 16 156.3 MHz CH06
- 156.375 MHz CH 67 156.65 MHz CH13.
Commercial vessels operating beyond VHF range of Coast Radio Darwin
Commercial vessels operating beyond VHF range of Coast Radio Darwin must carry communications equipment that provides all of the following:
- 24-hour distress calling
- access to marine safety information for the area of operation through one of the following:
- HF - DSC radio to meet relevant AMSA Marine Order
- HF radio
- Inmarsat C unit to meet relevant AMSA Marine Orders.
The HF radio must have the following frequencies:
- distress and calling - 4125 KHz, 6215 KHz, 8291 KHz
- marine safety information - 8176 KHz.
|VMW - all of the NT||VMC - east of Cape Don only|
|6230 KHz||6507 KHz|
|8113 KHz||8176 KHz|
|12362 KHz||12365 KHz|
|16528 KHz||16546 KHz|