Sport and active recreation grants: grass roots

Grants of up to $5,000 are available for clubs and organisations in the Northern Territory (NT) to help people participate in sport and active recreation.

What you can apply for

Examples of activities that may be funded under this grant are:

  • activities that increase participation in sport and active recreation for junior age groups
  • volunteer development through training opportunities for volunteers, coaches, instructors and officials in areas like:
    • integrity
    • first aid
    • leadership programs
  • equipment purchases for protection and safety
  • strategy and planning for club and organisation growth
  • promotion of programs and activities that enables an increase in sport participation and benefit awareness.

Who can apply

You must be all of the following to apply for funding:

  • a sport or active recreation organisation as defined in the program guidelines below
  • based in the NT
  • currently registered as an incorporated body with Licensing NT or hold another comparable legal status
  • a not-for-profit organisation
  • an affiliate of an organisation recognised as the national body or NT peak sporting body (where applicable)
  • compliant with Licensing NT or other relevant authority.

When to apply

There are two funding rounds for the 2019 to 2020 financial year.

Round one opens on Monday 22 July 2019 and closes on Sunday 15 September 2019.

Round two opens on Friday 1 November 2019 and closes on Sunday 1 March 2020.

Before you apply

Before applying you should read the program guidelines.

Grass roots grant program guidelines PDF (222.1 KB)
Grass roots grant program guidelines DOCX (184.2 KB)

How to apply

Apply online at Grants NT.


For help with your application call 1800 045 678 or email

Last updated: 21 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.