Sport and active recreation grants for facilities and equipment

You can apply for grants up to $100,000 toward your organisation's facilities and equipment once a financial year.

This is called the Facility and Capital Equipment program.

The program aims to:

  • increase participation opportunities
  • create facilities which are safe and environmentally friendly
  • create multipurpose facilities.

Your organisation must meet all of these conditions to apply for this grant:

  • contribute 20% of the total cost of your project in cash or in-kind donations
  • your contribution should be linked to planning, reserves and other fundraising
  • you can apply for up to $100,000 once in a financial year
  • your project must cost a minimum of $10,000.

Projects will be funded on levels of priority as assessed by the department. 

Your project should be associated with the following to increase your chance of being approved for funding:

  • growing participation, for example, by upgrading playing surfaces or lights
  • addressing safety and security issues
  • improvements or reducing maintenance costs
  • using local products and services
  • multiple use and shared facilities
  • proper planning with consideration to sustainability and future community needs.

Applications for the 2018/19 funding round have closed.

You should read the guidelines before you apply for a Facility and Capital Equipment program grant.

Facility and capital equipment program guidelines 2018-19 (914.8 kb)
Facility and capital equipment program guidelines 2018-19 (490.7 kb)

The program is available for organisations.

You should read before you apply for a sport and active recreation grant to see if your organisation can apply for this grant.

You organisation must:

  • operate within the Northern Territory (NT)
  • meet the definition of a sport or active recreation organisation
  • be registered as an incorporated body or hold comparable legal status
  • operate as a not-for-profit organisation - regional councils exempt
  • represent the interests of Territorians involved in sport or active recreation
  • be an affiliate of an organisation recognised as the national body or NT peak sporting body
  • be compliant with Licensing NT or other relevant authorities
  • have public liability insurance of at least $10 million.

Who can't apply

You can't apply if you are any of the following:

  • an individual
  • a commercial organisation
  • a school or education institution
  • a political organisation
  • an NT or federal government department
  • an organisation that is not recognised as a sport or active recreation organisation
  • a receiver of funding from this program within the current financial year
  • a parents and citizens or parents and friends association
  • not affiliated with national bodies or the NT peak sporting body
  • outside of the NT
  • an organisation with outstanding acquittals for government grants.

You can apply for funding for all of the following:

  • new or upgraded facilities to increase participation and physical activity
  • upgrades that increase the function of a facility
  • upgrades that improve safety, compliance or competition standards
  • projects that increase community access to sport and recreation.

You must use a Territory enterprise to spend this funding unless you can prove there is not one suitable to supply your item or service.

To find out more go to the Buy Local website.

What you can't apply for

You can't apply for projects that:

  • don't have a landowner's permission
  • require ongoing funding from the government
  • are not ready to begin or have unconfirmed funding sources
  • have ongoing operational costs such as electricity, water or other utilities
  • involve work on areas that have gaming machines or are licensed
  • have project management fees where the project is on council or educational institution land
  • involve the replacement of like-for-like surfaces
  • involve any of the following activities:
    • arts
    • hobbies
    • craft
    • music
    • historical re-enactments
    • fishing
    • pets
    • livestock
    • wildlife.

You must contact Sport and Recreation to discuss the requirements of your application before you apply.

For more information read before you apply for a sport and active recreation grant.

You can apply for a facilities and equipment grant online using Grants Tracker.

Only applications that are complete and submitted by the closing date can be assessed.

You will be notified of the result of your application by mail or email in November 2018.

If you need further feedback on your application, contact Sport and Recreation.

When your grant is paid

You must provide the following in order for your grant to be paid:

  • a signed agreement
  • a statement by supplier form if your organisation does not have an ABN - go to the Australian Taxation Office website for more information
  • a completed new vendor form if applicable
  • bank account details.

Acknowledge the grant

You must publicly acknowledge your grant in all media releases and promotional activity.

For information about how to do this, and to get copies of the correct logos to use, read how to acknowledge sports grant funding.


If your organisation is GST registered then the actual total is subject to GST. All of the
following will apply:

  • the total will be grossed up by 10%
  • it is the organisation’s responsibility to ensure that the GST component is
    remitted to the Australian Taxation Office
  • a recipient created tax invoice showing the grossed up
    amount will be forwarded to the organisation once the funds have been
  • if the organisation is not registered for GST it is not required to pay
    GST and will not receive a grossing up provision
  • the organisation must advise Sport and Recreation of any changes to the ABN or GST registration

Last updated: 18 February 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.