Permits for functions, activities or meetings in parks

You need a permit if you want to hold public events or similar activities in a Northern Territory (NT) park or reserve.

This includes all of the following:

  • concert
  • wedding reception
  • special function
  • public entertainment
  • fetes
  • demonstrations
  • exclusive use of a park or reserve or part of a park or reserve.

A public event is an activity conducted in any part of a park or reserve that restricts access or enjoyment by the general public, whether or not they pay to enter the event.

You do not need a permit to hold a small private function such as a birthday party.

If you want to set up equipment such as a jumping castle or a sound system you may need a permit - check with the concessions and permits office of Parks and Wildlife.

Traditional owner approval

If you want to hold an event in a park or reserve that is jointly managed by Aboriginal traditional owners you may need their approval.

Contact the concessions and permits office for more information.

Security deposits

You may have to pay a security deposit and/or permit fee at least seven days before the start of your event.

If your event causes damage or additional costs your security deposit may be used to repair the damage or cover the costs. You will be contacted before your security deposit is withheld.


If you are a club, business, company or association you may need all risks public liability insurance for $20 million or more.

The certificate must be in your or your company's name and span the dates of your activity.

How to apply

When you apply for a permit you must give all of the following information:

  • your name and address or the name and address of your organisation
  • a description of the event you want to hold
  • the name of the park or reserve where the event will be held
  • the area of the park or reserve you want to use
  • the conditions that must be met by people who attend your event
  • the time and days of your event
  • any other information you're asked to give.

See information for holding a function at the George Brown Darwin Botanic Gardens.

See information for holding a function at Territory Wildlife Park.

See information for holding a function at Alice Springs Desert Park.

For all other parks, fill in the public events permit form:

Public events permit form (705.3 kb)
Public events permit form (108.4 kb).

Submit your form by email, mail or in person to the concessions and permits unit of Parks and Wildlife.


If you hold an event or meeting in a park without a permit you may be fined.

Last updated: 07 March 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.