Larapinta Trail safety and advice
It is best to walk the Larapinta Trail in the cooler months between April and September.
Before you walk
Safety should be your priority on the trail. Make sure you think about all of the following before you start walking:
- your level of fitness, know your limitations - check the walking track grades
- who you will walk with - you should not walk alone
- how much water you need to carry
- how you will get to and from your start and finish point
- what you will do in an emergency
- weather conditions.
You should tell a reliable friend or relative of your plans and when you will return. Make sure they know to contact the police if you do not return.
Wear long, loose-fitting cotton clothing, sunscreen and a broad brim hat.
You should carry some form of emergency communication such as a satellite phone or personal locator beacon. Don't rely on mobile phones.
On the trail
Don't walk alone. Walk with at least two or three other people. In an emergency one person should stay with the injured person and one or two should go for help.
You should take the following precautions when setting out on or while you are walking the trail:
- if conditions are hot, only walk in the morning and late afternoon
- be prepared to stop and wait for cooler conditions late in the day - it is dangerous to push on if it is extremely hot
- allow plenty of time for walking and have regular breaks
- make use of shade when taking a break
- write in all log books
- think of the safety of those who may need to rescue you if you ignore this advice.
Fires are not allowed on the Larapinta Trail. You can get an on-the-spot fine if you light a fire on the trail.
You are only allowed to use fuel stoves or the free barbeques that are along the Larapinta Trail.
Barbeques are at the following locations:
- Alice Springs Telegraph Station
- Simpsons Gap
- Ellery Creek South
- Ormiston Gorge
- and Redbank Gorge (Woodland camping area).
Rangers patrol the trail to make sure you follow the rules.
Last updated: 27 April 2021
Share this page:URL copied!