Mac and Rose Chalmers Conservation Reserve
Tower Rock, once part of the MacDonald Downs pastoral lease, protects a diverse range of plants and animals. It includes striking granite rock formations within the Burt Plain bioregion.
The conservation reserve also protects the grave sites of Mac and Rose Chalmers, who the reserve is named after. Their family, including son Charlie Chalmers who signed the conservation covenant, have a deep association with the area. This began when Charlie's grandparents arrived in 1923 to run sheep on the property.
This scenic reserve has fantastic bush camping and is a chance to break away from the crowds. There are some outstanding informal walking opportunities, including the chance to climb the granite boulders and survey the surrounding landscape.
There are plenty of photo opportunities, particularly when the rocks turn a brilliant orange at sunrise and sunset.
At this stage there are no formed walking tracks, however, three suggested walking choices are marked on the fact sheet map and on signage in the reserve.
This reserve is privately managed, so for all enquiries use the contact details provided below.
Read the Chalmers Story information sheet .
What to see and do
You can do all of the following activities at the Mac and Rose Chalmers Conservation Reserve:
- nature observation
- four-wheel drive opportunities on the nearby Binns Track and Mt Swan.
Check if this park is open
This reserve is privately managed. For all enquiries use the contact details below.
Mt Swan phone: (08) 8956 9097 or (08) 8956 9745
The conservation reserve has basic bush camping with minimal facilities. The designated camping area has existing fire pits and a bush toilet.
Campers need to be self-sufficient and well-equipped.
When visiting the reserve, remember all of the following:
- bring your own drinking water and firewood, as there is no drinking water and you are not permitted to collect firewood in the reserve - you can collect firewood on nearby Mt Swan
- tell a reliable person of your travel plans, including your intended return time
- fuel is available at Red Gum Store - opening hours and availability vary
- close the gates behind you
- pets are permitted and must be on a lead at all times.
Last updated: 18 April 2016