Watarrka National Park safety induction

If you guide tours in Watarrka National Park you must complete the online tour guide safety induction as part of your company’s tour operator permit.

This includes employees of tour charter companies such as drivers and interpreters that accompany tours.

The induction involves reading a handbook and sitting an online test to show you understand your safety obligations.

When you pass, you will receive a personal ID card which you must carry when you guide park visitors.

Teachers and parent helpers escorting school groups are strongly encouraged to read the handbook but do not have to sit the test.

Induction handbook

The handbook contains all the information you need to safely guide visitors in the park and forms the basis for the induction training and test.

The handbook contains information about the following:

  • walking tracks, grades and distances - including a map
  • visitor safety
  • responsible photography and social media
  • the heat management policy for Watarrka National Park
  • emergency response procedures, including the use of first-aid boxes on the Kings Canyon Rim Walk and how to operate the emergency call devices
  • how to minimise the environmental impact of your group
  • key permit conditions
  • references for guiding groups in Watarrka National Park.

Get the Watarrka National Park Tour Guide Safety Induction Handbook:

How to do the induction

You should use a computer or tablet to sit the online tour guide safety induction test. It is not designed for use on a mobile phone.

You should finish the test in one sitting. It should take about 20 minutes.

To complete the induction you will need to create an account. New accounts are only approved during business hours from Monday to Friday.

It can take up to four business days to get a confirmation email. You will need this email to log in to the course site.

Create an account

To create an account follow these steps:

Step 1. Go to the Department of Education's Our Courses website. Click the 'create new account' button and fill in your details.

Step 2. Click on the 'course being undertaken' heading and select Tour Guide Safety Induction - Watarrka National Park self-enrolment. Your registration cannot be processed without this information.

Step 3. Click the 'create my new account' button.

Step 4. Download the induction handbook while you wait for your confirmation email.

You must complete the induction within 30 days of creating your account. If you don't the account will be deactivated.

Enrol in the course

Once you have the activation email follow these steps:

Step 1. Log in to the Our Courses website using your new username and password. Click on the Watarrka Safety Induction course to begin.

Step 2. Read the tour guide safety induction handbook and watch the welcome videos by Traditional Owners and rangers. Read and understand your company's tour operator permit.

Step 3. Upload a head-and-shoulders photograph of yourself and add your ID card details. You must do this before you can sit the test.

Step 4. Sit the safety induction test - Watarrka National Park.

Step 5. Download your temporary certificate at the certification tab. The certificate will be sent to your email address. You must use this until your photo ID card arrives.

Step 6. If you have technical difficulties while trying to do the induction call 08 8951 8273.

Photo ID card

You will receive your photo ID card about four weeks after you pass the test. Until it arrives you must carry your temporary certificate of completion, and valid photo ID such as your driver licence or passport, with you. Your temporary certificate of completion can either be a printed hard copy or saved to your phone or tablet.


For more information read page one of the handbook or email parks.touroperator@nt.gov.au.

Last updated: 22 January 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.