Financial help for isolated students

Supplementary boarding allowance

You may be able to access help from the supplementary boarding allowance scheme towards costs if your child has to live away from home in the Northern Territory (NT) in order to attend a primary, middle or senior school on a daily basis.

Expand all | Close all


The maximum amount payable was $600 per annum per student in 2015 at the nominated NT facility.

Who can apply

To be eligible you must comply with all of the following:

  • you and your child must live in the NT and you must be approved for benefits under the Australian Government's Assistance for isolated children scheme (AIC) basic boarding allowance
  • you are not eligible for this allowance if you are approved for the AIC scheme second home allowance.

How to apply

Fill in the application.

Student assistance application PDF (152.3 KB)
Student assistance application DOCX (78.5 KB)

Provide evidence of the level of boarding fees and AIC assistance.

A new application, accompanied by a copy of the current AIC approval letter and a statement detailing whether your child is receiving any fares from any other source, must be submitted each year.

Submit application to the Department of Education by 30 September of each year for which claims are to be made.

Submit application either by email, fax or post using the following details.

Student assistance officer
Financial Services Division
Department of Education

GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801
Fax: 08 8901 4976

How to claim

There is no need to claim, the allowance is paid when the application is approved.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 April 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.