Schools of the air function allowance

You may be able to get help with the cost of sending your child to a school of the air function.

To be eligible you and your child must be permanent residents of the NT.

Your child must be attending one of the following schools:

  • Alice Springs School of the Air
  • Katherine School of the Air
  • NT School of Distance Education.

Your child must also be approved for Distance Education Allowance under the Australian Government’s Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) scheme.

Your child isn't eligible for the subsidy if they are receiving:

  • ABSTUDY payments
  • any other financial assistance that includes a travel component.

You can find out more about the AIC scheme and ABSTUDY on the Australian Government's Department of Human Services website.

What trips you can claim

A maximum of two return trips per school year may be reimbursed.

Travel must be from the student’s home to the location of the approved function. If the journey is in a private vehicle the return journey of a parent travelling back home can also be claimed.

The journey must be for the sole purpose of transporting your child from their home to the function. If they are transported for any other activity, the journey is not eligible.

Trips by plane

Regular passenger flights must be booked at least four weeks prior to travel. The reimbursement may be reduced if less than four weeks.

Trips by private vehicle

The nominated vehicle you use to transport your child must be a private vehicle that you own.

If the vehicle is owned by someone else, you must include a statutory declaration from the owner giving their consent for you to drive the vehicle for the purpose of transporting your child. This declaration must accompany each application you make.

The nominated vehicle must be registered with the NT Motor Vehicle Registry for the intended claim period.

You need to submit a new application each year. The application is due by 30 September in the year that you will be making a claim.

To apply for the subsidy, fill in the application.

Student assistance application PDF (723.6 KB)
Student assistance application DOCX (153.9 KB)

You must attach a copy of your child's current Distance Education Allowance statement

If travel is by private vehicle

You must also include:

  • a statement of distance travelled
  • a sketch map or google map of the journey
  • a copy of each applicant’s drivers licence covering the intended claim period.

If your application has been approved, you can make a claim for reimbursement of travel costs.

Claims must be submitted to the Department of Education by 31 March following the year of travel.

Fill in the claim form below.

NT Schools of the Air functions allowance claim form PDF (46.7 KB)
NT Schools of the Air functions allowance claim form DOCX (78.9 KB)

Completed claim forms must be stamped and signed by the school's principal or registrar to verify your child's attendance at the function.

Trips by plane

If travel is by regular passenger flight then you must attach used tickets or the electronic ticket receipt and boarding pass to the claim.

If the boarding passes are lost or misplaced, you will need to attach a statutory declaration.

The declaration must state the student's:

  • name
  • flight number
  • date and time of travel
  • departure and arrival location.

Trips by private vehicle

If travel is by private vehicle, reimbursement is based on distance travelled multiplied by the conveyance allowance unit.

In 2019 the conveyance unit is $0.46 cents per kilometre (km).


If you travelled 350km return in 2019 you would get a reimbursement of $161.

350km x $0.46 = $161.

Trips by plane

If travel is on a regular passenger flight, reimbursement will be based on the cost of the most direct and economical fare available.

You can claim reimbursement for the base cost, GST, booking fee and credit card surcharge.

You can't get reimbursed for the cost of changing booked flights.

If charter flights are used, the payment will be calculated as if a private vehicle were used for the journey.


Submit your application or claim form either by email, fax or post using the following contact details:

Student assistance officer
Corporate Support
Department of Education

GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801
Phone: 1800 019 157 or 08 8901 4965
Fax: 08 8901 4976

Last updated: 04 December 2019

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!