Correspondence site allowance: preschool

You may be able to get help with the cost of educating your four year old preschool child at a correspondence or distance education school.

There is a separate allowance for primary, middle or senior correspondence students.

Who can apply

To be eligible you and your child must be permanent residents of the NT.

Your child must be attending one of the following schools:

  • Alice Springs School of the Air
  • Katherine School of the Air.

Your child must also meet the requirements for the Distance Education Allowance (except for the minimum age) under the Australian Government’s Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) scheme.

Your child isn't eligible for the subsidy if they are receiving any other financial assistance that includes a travel component.

You can find out more about the AIC scheme on the Australian Government's Department of Human Services website.

If your child attends an interstate school

You can make a special application for benefits if your child attends an interstate correspondence school by contacting:

Assistant director
Corporate Support
Department of Education
GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801

How to apply

Fill in the application.

Student assistance application PDF (152.3 KB)
Student assistance application DOCX (78.5 KB)

The application is due by 30 September in the year that you will be making a claim.

If your application is approved you will be paid the allowance. You don't need to submit a separate claim form.

Payment amounts

The maximum amount you will be paid is 50% of the student correspondence site allowance unit for that school year.

The maximum amount for 2019 is $243.50.


Submit your application either by email, fax or post using the following contact details:

Student assistance officer
Corporate Support
Department of Education

GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801

Phone: 1800 019 157 or 08 8901 4965
Fax: 08 8901 4976

Last updated: 25 June 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!