Correspondence materials delivery assistance

You may be able to get help with the costs of travelling to a post office so you can collect materials for your child's distance learning.

To be eligible you and your child must be permanent residents of the NT.

Your child must be attending one of the following schools:

  • Alice Springs School of the Air
  • Katherine School of the Air
  • NT School of Distance Education.

Your child must also be approved for Distance Education Allowance under the Australian Government’s Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) scheme.

Your child isn't eligible for the subsidy if they are receiving:

  • ABSTUDY payments
  • any other financial assistance that includes a travel component.

You can find out more about the AIC scheme and ABSTUDY on the Australian Government's Department of Human Services website.

What trips you can claim

Up to eight return journeys can be reimbursed per school year. The maximum distance is 200 kilometres (kms) per return trip.

Travel must be from your child's home to the nearest post office or community postal agent. The return journey covers the parent returning home.

The journey must be for the sole purpose of collecting distance education materials. If the journey is for any other activity it won't be eligible.

Vehicle being used

The nominated vehicle you use to collect the materials must be a private vehicle that you own.

If the vehicle is owned by someone else, you must include a statutory declaration from the owner giving their consent for you to drive the vehicle for the purpose of collecting the materials. This declaration must accompany each application you make.

The nominated vehicle must be registered with the NT Motor Vehicle Registry for the intended claim period.

You need to submit a new application each year. The application is due by 30 September in the year that you will be making a claim.

To apply for the subsidy, fill in the application.

Student assistance application PDF (723.6 KB)
Student assistance application DOCX (153.9 KB)

You must attach the following:

  • a copy of the student’s current AIC Basic Boarding Allowance statement
  • a statement of distance travelled
  • a sketch map or google map of the journey
  • a copy of each applicant’s drivers licence covering the intended claim period.

If your application has been approved, you can make a claim for reimbursement of travel costs.

Claims must be submitted to the Department of Education by 31 March following the year of travel.

You must fill in parts 1 and 2 of the claim.

Completed claim forms must be stamped and signed by the school principal or registrar of your child's distance education school.

Part 1: claim form

Correspondence materials delivery assistance scheme part 1 PDF (43.5 KB)
Correspondence materials delivery assistance scheme part 1 DOCX (69.9 KB)

Part 2: travel details

Correspondence materials delivery assistance scheme part 2 PDF (45.0 KB)
Correspondence materials delivery assistance scheme part 2 DOCX (42.4 KB)

Reimbursement is based on distance travelled to the nearest post office or postal agent, multiplied by the conveyance allowance unit.

In 2019 the conveyance unit is $0.46 cents per kilometre (km).


If you travelled 185km return in 2019 you would get a reimbursement of $85.10

185km x $0.46 = $85.10.


Submit your application either by email, fax or post using the following contact details:

Student assistance officer
Corporate Support
Department of Education

GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801

Phone: 1800 019 157 or 08 8901 4965
Fax: 08 8901 4976

Last updated: 25 June 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!