Education allowance for students with disabilities - travel and boarding scheme
You may be able to access financial help with the cost of boarding and travel if your child lives away from home to attend a specialist school or centre in the Northern Territory (NT) or interstate.
Conditions of the scheme
An automatic payment of up to $45 per week per child in 2015 (subject to CPI adjustment each year) will be made in two instalments (Semester 1 and 2) after satisfactory enrolment checks have been completed.
Fares for your child, and escort as required, will be available for either three or four return trips per year, depending on the term/semester structure in the state where the your child attends school.
If your child is unable to travel, you may receive assistance for up to three return trips per year to visit your child.
Approval of fares for you to visit your child is at the discretion of the Chief Executive on the recommendation of the Executive Director, School Support Services.
Who can apply
To apply you must meet all of the following criteria:
- you must live in the NT and your child must be approved for benefits under the AIC scheme
- your child must be enrolled in an approved specialist school or centre in the NT or, where appropriate facilities are not available, interstate. Approval of the allowance for attendance at an interstate school will be at the discretion of the Executive Director School Support Services, Department of Education.
- if your child has a disability and is eligible for special education, receives benefits under this scheme and is less than 16 years of age and approved for the AIC scheme you will also be eligible for the supplementary boarding allowance
- eligibility for this scheme will continue until the completion of the school year in which your child turns 18 years of age
- if your child qualifies for other travel assistance schemes you will not be eligible for this scheme.
How to apply
Complete the application form.
A new application form must be submitted each year to the Department of Education by 30 September of each year for which claims are to be made.
Claims for reimbursement of fares will not be paid unless an application has been approved by the Executive Director Student Support Services.
Submit the application form either by email, fax or post using the following details.
Student Assistance Officer
Financial Services Division
Department of Education
GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801
Fax: (08) 8901 4976
How to claim
There is no need to claim as the payment will be made automatically at the end of each Semester subject to enrolment checks.