Apply for an earth science, mining or petroleum scholarship
If you are a young person in the Northern Territory (NT), you can get a three-year scholarship to study earth science, metallurgy, mining engineering or petroleum engineering at university.
What you can get
If you are awarded a scholarship, you will get:
- $12,000 a year for three years to help with living and other expenses
- help to find work during university holidays, where possible
- opportunities to develop skills and knowledge in the mining and petroleum industries
- mentoring to help find work experience and consider your career options.
When you can apply
Applications for the 2019 scholarship are open and close on Friday, 2 November 2018.
Before you apply
Before you apply, you should read the scholarship guidelines and conditions.
How to apply
To apply for the earth science, mining or petroleum scholarship, follow these steps:
Step 1. Fill in the earth science, mining or petroleum scholarship application .
Step 2. Submit your application and supporting documents by mail or email.
NT Geological Survey
Department of Primary Industry and Resources
GPO Box 4550
Darwin NT 0801
How your application is assessed
Your application will be considered by a committee of representatives from the NT Government and mining industry.
You will be given preference if you are:
- under 21 years of age
- have lived in the NT a long time
- have done most of your secondary education in the NT.
The committee will assess you on:
- your academic record and whether you are likely to be accepted into science-related subjects at an interstate university
- your level of knowledge and interest in working in the minerals or petroleum industry
- your level of commitment to gaining practical work experience in either the Northern Territory Geological Survey or at exploration or mining operations - this might include working at remote locations in the NT.
After you apply
Applicants who are considered suitable will be contacted for a personal interview.
The scholarship is only awarded if there is a suitable applicant.
To find out more call 08 8951 8160 or 08 8999 6443 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 11 October 2018