Anzac Centenary


The Northern Territory will commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the First World War and the Anzac Centenary with a four year, $4.5 million program of events for people of all ages.

The official Anzac Centenary began in August 2014 and runs through until November 2018.

The Northern Territory Government is supporting a program of commemoration events and activities developed in conjunction with the Northern Territory Anzac Centenary Advisory Committee, chaired by former Administrator Tom Pauling AO QC.

NT Government Centenary commemoration initiatives include: 

  • The Chief Minister's Anzac Spirit Study Tour
  • WWII Study Tour (Primary School Students)
  • the construction of an Anzac Memorial Garden on The Esplanade
  • the re-naming of an existing pathway near the Darwin Cenotaph to become known as the Anzac Centenary Walk
  • ensuring the Darwin Cenotaph has the correct listing of Northern Territory WWI servicemen
  • identifying and marking six WWI returned servicemen’s graves in Gardens Road Cemetery, Darwin that are not managed by the Australian War Graves Commission
  • funding for Darwin and Tennant Creek RSL, as well as Coomalie Shire to commemorate the 100th anniversary
  • an expansion of the 'extended experience' of WWII sites in the Top End including Mandorah, Batchelor and Adelaide River
  • reprinting the book 'A Wartime Journey: Stuart Highway Heritage Guide', which explains the WWII sites along the Stuart Highway from Alice Springs to Darwin
  • the commemoration of the 75th Bombing of Darwin anniversary in 2017 where the Defence of Darwin Experience will have a feature role. 

All of these events and initiatives are in addition to the regular Anzac Day commemorative activities held across the Territory.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 12 June 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.