Support for international students

This page has information on the support for international students studying in government schools and how complaints are managed.

When your application has been accepted you can access any of the following services:

  • airport pickup
  • orientation
  • international student coordinators
  • school support.

Airport pickup

An officer from international education services will meet you on arrival if necessary. They will be accompanied by your homestay family or will transport you to your homestay accommodation.

There is no charge for this service.

Student orientation

You will undertake an orientation program when you attend a government school.

You will tour the school and meet staff including the assistant principal, year coordinator, school counsellor, careers adviser and school nurse.

The orientation will include the location of the international student coordinator's office, the canteen, medical centre, school bus zone, library and other school facilities.

You will be informed of school policies including attendance, complaints and appeals processes, critical incidents and overseas student health cover.

International student coordinators

Each school has a nominated contact officer for international students.

Darwin High School has a specific international student coordinator. In other schools one of the assistant principals fulfils this role.

International student coordinators are your first point of contact for questions, advice and assistance.

The international student coordinator is also responsible for monitoring your progress to ensure you are complying with visa conditions.

School support

Each school has staff available to assist with subject selection and applying for further study including university or vocational education and training (VET). 

School counsellors are also available to assist with personal problems if necessary.


Every effort should be made to resolve any difficulty at school level.

If you have a complaint about your schooling in a government school you should try to resolve the issue using the following steps:

Step 1. Discuss the issue with your teacher, the international student coordinator or assistant principal in the first instance.

Step 2. Arrange a meeting with the school principal if further action is needed, your parents will be contacted using an interpreter if necessary.

Step 3. If the matter is not resolved at school, you can talk to international education services.

Step 4. International education services will consult with the school and your parents.

Step 5. If the matter is still unresolved, it will be referred to the director, international education services.

A student will be encouraged to have a friend or relative to assist during the complaints procedure.

International students who are between 15 and under 18 years of age must have a guardian living in the Northern Territory. If a dispute arises for one of these students, the school will contact the guardian when the matter is taken to the principal.

Homestay complaints

Homestay issues should be referred to international education services.

Last updated: 28 November 2017

Back to top